Sunday, March 16, 2014

Wall Ruler Growth Chart





Wall Ruler Growth Chart
 

When I saw the ruler from Pottery Barn (pictured below), my first thought was, "Holy cow! That's expensive! $149 plus shipping seems a little crazy for something I could totally make!" That thought was quite a while back. When my friend Chelsea, our talented art teacher at school, told me that she was going to be making one for an upcoming baby shower, I told her I wanted to do it with her! Today, we got crafty and in less than 3 hours, we had two of these beautiful projects completed! 

From Pottery Barn

What do you need?
  • A piece of wood (Mine is 6 feet by 11 inches and poplar)
  • Stain (I used Miwax Honey 272)
  • A paintbrush
  • An old towel
  • Numbers (I printed mine and cut them out. Century font size 300.)
  • A black paint pen
  • A ruler or yardstick
  • A pencil

 First buy a piece of wood the size that you would like it. At Home Depot, mine was around $25.


 Next, using a paintbrush, stain the wood the darkness of your choice.

Then print and cut out numbers.
 
Then use a pencil and ruler and mark off every foot (making that line longer) and then every inch. I made every six inches slightly longer too. Trace the numbers onto the board. Use the black paint pen to go over your pencil lines. Add a hanger on the back.


 Add your family name on the side if you desire! And start marking down those measurements!
Love the idea, but don't have the time? The talented Chelsea Koehl will make one for you for only $65! Shoot her an email - ckoehl@dekalbcentral.net !

3 comments:

  1. This is so cute, Candace! :) I love that you personalized it with your last name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, April!! This is probably one of my favorite projects to date! Way easier than I thought it would be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this Candace! I wish my kids were younger so that I could do it!!

    ReplyDelete